I'm sure that on more than one occasion you have heard of foods and drinks that have the ability to help you lose weight just by consuming them.
This statement is not correct. What we must be clear about is that fruit and vegetables are an important source for our organism and all the benefits they have in the prevention of illnesses and in our health in general. Also that in many cases they are foods whose consumption, especially between meals, is much healthier.
However, they are very satiating foods, which help our digestive process and which, in various combinations, are highly recommended for eating everything our body needs with the necessary calories.
Why can fruits and vegetables help us lose weight?
The first thing to understand is that if you want to lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than your body demands.
This does not necessarily mean eating less food or less food per day, but rather getting into the habit of eating a much healthier and more balanced diet with lower calorie foods.
When we talk about fruit and vegetables, we are referring to foods high in carbohydrates and fibre with multiple benefits for our health.
They generally aid our digestive process and their consumption generates a feeling of satiety that helps control the amount of food we eat.
The water and fibre present in fruit and vegetables helps to create a greater volume or quantity of food on the plate, so that it can be eaten in large quantities and the caloric intake for our body is much better.
In addition, the consumption of fibre-rich foods has a direct relationship with our weight and body fat, reducing its level and therefore favouring weight loss.
Nor should we forget that fruit is a source of natural sugars that can help us to combat and replace the consumption of sweet and calorific foods.
What are the best fruits and vegetables for weight loss?
Although, in general terms, all fruits and vegetables are highly recommended, there are some of them that, due to their nutrient and sugar composition, are more or less suitable if we are looking to lose some weight.
From a nutritional point of view, these are some examples of the most recommended fruits and vegetables:
- Celery: is almost entirely made up of water. In addition, potassium, folic acid, fibre and vitamin K are also found. To give you an idea, it is estimated that each stalk of celery contains only 6 calories.
- Cucumber: Like celery, its composition is very high in water, as well as containing a high nutritional value and being a great source of fibre and vitamin A.
- Tomato: it is a food that helps to fight chronic diseases and is rich in potassium and fibre. Its consumption is highly recommended both in salads and as a garnish, as it contains only 25 calories, approximately, in a normal-sized piece.
- Broccoli: is one of the most nutritious vegetables with the most properties for our organism. A single portion of steamed broccoli provides us with about 20% of the amount of fibre our body needs and with hardly any calories.
- Lettuce: There are many types of lettuce, but they all have in common their low calorie content (between 10 and 20 calories in a serving). Its high water content does not skimp on vitamin A and C, as well as other nutrients such as iron.
- Grapefruit: According to some studies, this is one of the most diuretic foods we can find. The grapefruit is rich in fibre and has a high level of satiety, as well as a large amount of vitamin C, which helps to prevent health problems.
- Blueberries: are known for their antioxidant properties, but, in addition, a small box like the ones you can find in the supermarket only contains 85-90 calories. They are ideal for breakfasts, snacks and even salads.
- Oranges: very popular for its vitamin C content, it is a very low calorie food, approximately 80 calories in a normal piece. Its fibre content helps to keep blood sugar and cholesterol levels in check.